Membership in the Home Builders Association of West Michigan includes membership in the HBAM – Home Builders Association of Michigan, and the NAHB – National Association of Home Builders.
Types – there are three types of membership: Builder members – who are licensed builders in the state of Michigan; Associate members – those members who are in a field which is associated with the building industry, such as plumber, electrician, insurance agent, lender, etc.; and Affiliate Members who work with/for either a Builder Member or an Associate Member.
Cost – Yearly membership dues are $496 per year for full members (Builder or Associate) and $25 per year for Affiliate members.
For full members only this fee includes your dues to the MAHB and NAHB, a meal at the monthly membership meeting, and discounts for our major events: Parade of Homes & Home and Garden Show. Builder members also receive the monthly BUILDER Magazine.
As the lead organization representing residential builders and remodelers in Michigan, the Michigan Association of Home Builders (MAHB) has made tremendous impact on behalf of its members. The efforts of the legislative staff were instrumental in:
- creation of a cost effective energy code with passage of the Michigan Uniform Energy Code (MUEC).
passage of a uniform construction code – Senate Bill 463, also kown as the Single State Construction Code bill
- thwarting inititatives for inclusion of impact fees which would have added thousands of dollars to the cost of every new home constructed.
- defeating restrictive land use laws and regulations aimed at stopping construction of new homes
efforts to enact laws aimed at cutting business and personal taxes by millions of dollars, creating an environment conducive for increased volume for sales and services
- participation in precedent-setting legal cases affecting the residental construction industry
protection of private property rights for the citizens of Michigan and Americans across the nation
electing candidates on the state and local level who support the home building industry’s right to participate in the economy and earn a living
With a staff of dedicated government affairs experts, representing over thirty years of experience with the Michigan Legislature, MAHB continues to strive for an economic climate that encourages growth and prosperity.
Through the use of seminars, idea exchanges at meetings, publications and the NAHB Convention-Expo, you’ll find there are many education opportunities through your local association.
Our insurance programs provide superior coverages at competitive rates. Each has been specifically tailored to fit the needs of the home building industry professional. They are our most popular services, so consider their worth to your own organization.
Frankenmuth Insurance offers worker’s compensation insurance at excellent, market leading rates with an additional percent discount for association members. The Association and Frankenmuth have had a close relationship for many years and our membership has been well served by the superior products that they offer.
Locally, our Frankenmuth and Blue Cross representatives are the Smith & Eddy Insurance in Scottville, Ludington & Hart. You may visit their website or call them at (231) 757-4743.
Frankenmuth Mutual Insurance Company (FMI) is a Michigan based carrier which offers a superior product to the MAHB membership, including property and casualty insurance and some personal lines: business, auto, etc. Members who insure with FMI do so with confidence and peace of mind.
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Michigan health insurance and Fort Dearborn Life, Disability is offered to all members at a group rate.
Each of the above programs are offered to the membership through insurance agents who are members at each of our 36 local home builders association in Michigan.
MEMBERSHIP HAS ITS PRIVILEGES
BE BETTER INFORMED on what is being done in the housing industry, the second largest industry in the U.S.
FURTHER OUR OWN INDUSTRY “Every man owes a part of his time and money to the business or industry in which he is engaged. No man has the moral right to withhold support from an organization that is striving to improved conditions within his sphere.” Theodore Roosevelt
IMPROVE YOUR BUSINESS through the information available in publications that you receive and exchange of ideas at meetings, seminars and the NAHB Convention-Exposition.
SUPPORT YOUR INDUSTRY’S ORGANIZATION Standing alone, you are a lone voice in the dark, but by joining other members of the team, you will be amazed at what can be accomplished.
INCREASE BUSINESS CONTACTS Because every contact a businessman makes is a potential asset to himself and his business.
PROFIT IN GROUP ACTIVITIES Where you learn more about YOUR business by participating in your association’s activities.
Learn more about our association and take full advantage of the available programs and services.
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF HOME BUILDERS
15TH & M Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20005
Fax (202) 822-0559
Local Association Benefits (HBA of West Michigan)
- Education Programs/Opportunities
- Legislative Support
- Monthly Dinner Meetings
- Work with Local Officials
- Annual Home Show
- Annual Parade of Homes
- Exposure and nation-wide access on the HBA Website
- Competitive Self-Insured Workman’s Comp Coverage
- Excellent Health Insurance Rates
- Custom Designed Property & Casualty Insurance Plan
- Social Activities
- Networking with Other Members in the Building Industry
- Member participation is essential to the growth and success of the Association as a whole. And the success of the Association will contribute to the success of its members. A strong Association will give you strong representation at the city, county, state and national levels. We encourage your participation at HBA events and ask you to voice your ideas and suggestions.
State Association Benefits (HBAM)
Education Opportunities Including:
- GBI Graduate Builders Institute
- CGR Certified Graduate Remodeler
- Right to Know
- Commercial Drivers License
- Active Lobbying Program on Behalf of Industry Issues
- Builders Political Action Programs (B-PAC)
- Administration of all Insurance Programs, Product & Service Discounts
The GRADUATE BUILDERS INSTITUTE (GBI) PROGRAM offers a designation for professionals in the industry who complete a series of required courses covering the fundamentals of building and management in the residential construction process. The GBI certificate will be awarded to program participants after successful completion of 54 credit hours, or nine of the courses specifically designed for the program. To maintain GBI certification, graduates are required to complete a specified number of courses or credit hours every three years. GBI credential requirements records will be monitored at the Home Builders Institute.
CERTIFIED GRADUATE REMODELER (CGR) is a certification/education program sponsored by the NAHB Remodelers Council. The education portion of the program is offered through the Home Builders Institute (HBI, which is the primary educational arm of the NAHB.) The CGR program provides professional credentials to Remodelers who complete the programs practice and experience. CGR is the only certification program in the remodeling industry which emphasizes business management as the foundation of a successful remodeling operation.
Home Builders Association of Michigan
6427 Centurion Dr. Suite 150
Lansing, Michigan 48917-8546
Fax (517) 322-0504
National Association Benefits (NAHB)
- Active National Lobbying Programs
- Technical Assistance on Member Programs
- Free Computerized Legal Service (Westlaw)
- Excellent Industry Publications
- BUILDER Magazine
- National’s Building News Newsletter
- Professional Builder Magazine
- Comprehensive Industry Library
- Product & Service Discounts (MCI, MasterCard, Fax Equip., Car Rentals, Publications, etc.)
- New Product Research Development Testing
- Educational Programs and National Convention
- Grassroots Political Councils
- Industry Computer Software Review Programs
- Review of Local Ordinances & Co-Leadership
- Industry Public Relations Effort to Improve Image